The microwave door switch can overheat and ignite plastic components in the control area.
If you have a microwave-oven combo that was commonly installed in our homes, then you will want to follow this link for more information regarding a factory recall.
The short details are: The door switch in the microwave oven can overheat and ignite plastic components in the control area. You should stop using the microwave in the micro-oven combo immediately. You may continue to use the lower thermal oven.
Thanks to Beth M. for letting us know about this recall!
They are at the end of their life if you still have the originals from the builder
Maybe you’ve had a neighbor whose smoke detectors went off for several days. (Note, if that happens, no one will do anything until there is smoke pouring out of the windows). Or maybe one day, your smoke detectors go off for no apparent reason. It could be because they are dirty, or it could be because they are 10 years old, and need to be replaced.
Here is a quick and easy way to do just that.
It turns out the builder grade smoke detectors in our houses (BRK 4102b) aren’t the best things in the world. So what to replace them with? Kiddie i12060 Item # 21009444.
These are available at our Annandale Home Depot (though I just bought them out of all but 3) for about $18. If you buy 6 or more the price drops by about $1.80 each.
Installation is easy because it comes with a wiring adapter for the old BRK units to the new Kiddie models. All you have to do is:
Twist off the old
Unplug the old
Loosen the screws for the old plate on the ceiling
Twist the old one off the screws.
Twist the new base plate onto the ceiling & tighten the screws
Plug the wiring adapter into the back of the new
Plug the house wiring connector into the new adapter
Twist onto the ceiling
The whole process to replace all 6 of ours took about an hour. It comes with a new battery too.